Like no other
A boutique costume and photography studio
Ultra Violet Lair is a boutique costume and photography studio created in mind for fashioned storytelling, located in Bowen Mountain, Sydney. The Lair is a poetic wonderland that will continue to evolve with more extraordinary spectacular. Miniature to large scale detail throughout this designed space, with a love for Alice in Wonderland and Victorian beauty.
Before your visit and during, let’s craft your aesthetic, find your heightened sense of self. The seeds are to be planted for you to flower and enchant your inner child. Away from standards and routine, Ana’s mission is to help find your real identity (empowerment) and to celebrate it (transformation).
Professional makeup artistry, wonderful costuming in a gorgeous setting.
Creative photography with whimsical and fashion flair is the record. Be the next forthcoming show and a show stopper at that.
Bookings by appointment ONLY – (Daytime – Wednesday/Friday/Saturday’s ONLY)
Your welcome to download the ‘Styling at the Lair‘ pdf which asks relevant questions to ensure you get the most out of your shoot, and can also be used as a prompt to remember what to bring on the day.
Require more information? See the Process to the Lair for a step by step guide.
PLEASE NOTE – Bookings are available from 5 November onwards, several shoots booked.
AN ENCHANTING SPACE
+ Transcend the conventions
+ Express your inner self
+ Rewild your imagination at the Lair
Entrance your inner child with bespoke attire, headpieces, Victorian charm, circus themed splendour. It truly is an amusement ride of colour, texture and detail.
See the ‘Process‘ page how to go about booking your ultra day out and find answers to questions along the way.
All is now flowering, hurray!
What’s been happening..
Since the Sydney lockdown slowed things down to a complete stop, Ana has been working on more detail to the studio space. Using pages ripped out from a book Walter Benjamin’s ‘Illuminations’, a divider screen has been completely covered the three panels on one side , and a framed piece around some furniture at the ‘Front of House’ cheekily labelled. A new garden arch has entered the Lair with real vines painted, ripped out from the front garden previously over towering shrub trees. Two large netting fabrics are to be draped from the arch to the second floor, currently in transit, expected any day.
New attire, two Lolita dresses in mind with an Alice in Wonderland vibe and a retro looking in faded red, Little Red Riding Hood dress and hood to match. A few new headpieces are now finished. It’s all go go.
Costume and Styling
Ana draws on her film and theatrical background, working with you to find the right fit to your requirements, to style you with existing pieces with a fantastical edge.
See the latest collection of attire, with a love for all things vintage, Victorian, gothic and Lolita and retro, in an amusement ride of colour, texture and detail via the Costuming and Styling options page.
Creative photography, unique portraits, infused with fun to bring out your inner child and imaginative spirit.
The photographer and artist Ana, will make you feel at ease, drawing on your imaginative spirit with props galore. The entrancing world to the Lair’s studio space, will also help transform your experience, with you front and centre.
Be photographed at the Lair or on location at beautiful to vintage wonderland settings in the Hawkesbury area.
Ana has extensive professional photo retouching experience working for high profile companies and a photo studio. Both hands on creating to the digital realm. It’s a devoted passion to produce works that are unique.
See the ‘Shrink like Alice’ page for all the places you can NOW go. Dress up, enchant your inner child. Fuel your creativity.. Send your photo to match the selected artwork. Be photoshopped within.
Pammy Sparre – Phoenix Hair & Makeup Artistry
I had the absolute pleasure of working with Ana on a enter the art zone lockdown photoshoot.. Ana gave me so many great options and was a joy to work with.. I am so over the moon with the final edits.. Absolutely fabulous! Ana's creativity is unique and magical.. I would highly recommend her if your looking for something completely outside the box..I look forward to working with this amazing lady in the future.. Thankyou Ana!
Imogen Terry – (Photo Shoot)
Would highly recommend Ana, her attention to detail and artwork is incredibly good and unique! If you are in need of a graphic artist or looking for a unique photo shoot, Ana is your lady!
Bella Wolf – Earthly Delight
It is so much joy to work with Ana! She takes the stress out of tricky design work and infuses so much fun into the process for those of us mere mortals in the blogging world. I love Ana’s magical sense of aesthetics and real attention to the finest details. she went above and beyond for me and took the time to really listen to what I wanted and guide me through the process coming up with lots of options. I am so pleased with the final results. Thanks Ana. I loved spending time in your Lair. Let’s do it again soon.
Model – Mimi Belle
I found Ultra Violet Lair online and entered a photoshoot competition with the lovely Ana! Luckily I won and got to experience the magic that is the Ultra Violet Lair! So many beautiful costume choices, props and sets, it’s really like stepping into Wonderland! Had a fabulous day shooting and Ana was very flexible as I had injured myself just before the shoot and was in a moon boot (not that you can tell looking at the pics hehe). Thanks so much Ana, can’t wait to be back in the studio again sometime soon xx
TWENTY REASONS TO CHOSE THE LAIR
- The Lair aims to give you a unique experience, styling you with existing pieces with a fantastical edge. To empower, be comfortable in front of the camera, in an extraordinary setting.
- The studio space is like a gallery of the ornate, beautiful and bizarre. It’s detail throughout, inspired by Alice in Wonderland, Victorian and circus themed as one
- The back end of the house has a gorgeous bushland view, surrounded by trees
- Ana’s professional experience in photo retouching at various high-end companies and photography skillset at a large firm in the inner city of Sydney, ensures you are in good hands
- Photos can be taken to new heights with digital artistry. See the White Rabbit’s house artwork, derived from the original book ‘Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland’ by Lewis Carroll. Whereby people can be cut out in Photoshop and added accordingly to the scene
- There is a large-scale dolls house, surreal in nature, with miniature chandelier’s that work and cut up vintage Barbie dolls throughout. Choco vines from a previous residence of Ana’s, is a large part to this doll house foundation, taking over 10 years to complete
- The props, such as the enchanted trees made on location, really transform your experience, hello escapism! Wonderful backdrops
- Ana takes the time to ask questions, send you references based on your answers (relevant to the Ultra Day Out package) to ensure your visit here is what you have been looking for, and exceeding expectations
- Props and accessories are suggested or at hand to enhance your experience, also used as a fun distraction especially if nerves are at play
- Ana goes out of her way to ensure you are comfortable getting your photo taken, and knows personally from past experience, hence doing a modelling course when younger to get over this!
- Ana will help make you feel at ease by drawing on your imaginative spirit, with props galore. Please know, you will be lost in the detail of the room, your inner child will most definitely come out to play!
- The drive here is truly beautiful and surrounding areas like Bilpin and Kurrajong Heights. A ‘Underground’ coffee is made for you once here or specialty tea, or a cheeky complimentary wine on request (if later in the day/if you are of legal age!)
- There are so many background sections within the space of the Lair.
- If later in the day (due to light of day) several close outdoor locations can be explored if sufficient time, perfect for the retro Little Red Riding Hood outfit (or in preference to the studio space).
- The ad on catering options have all be tested with great satisfaction by Ana and her family! You won’t be disappointed, all decadent treats
- The photographer and artist has worked in theatre and worked on a few low budget feature films therefore set design is close to her heart. There is no favourite, photography, costume and set design are all intertwined. Ana is a detail freak, with a love for the ornate, full stop!
- Creative photography is explored from all angles off and on a tripod. Whatever it takes for you to look your best within the frame
- The prints are professional fine art quality, your welcome to see any examples at the studio
- The Lair welcomes you to find your heightened sense of self, be front and centre. Fashioned storytelling in an extraordinary place, like no other!
Most of the costumes have been made from vintage wares, antique wedding dresses and all sorts, therefore a unique stamp is across the board
BITE SIZE ENTRIES
The Lair – Blog
Bite size blog entries from Ana from a fashion, art and design perspective, to her influences, creative makings and her way.
Kristina’s desire to capture people in their own spaces ‘surrounded by small parts of themselves’.”Michelle’s house was the most drastic example of this I’d ever witnessed”.
A love of photography and styling of clothes, led to Ana’s daily obsession of planning and dressing up her mannequin ‘Magenta’, bought for a theatre project many years prior.